Diabetes or diabetes mellitus is a disorder that is characterized by elevation of glucose levels in blood. The carbohydrates that we consume get converted in to glucose, and hormone insulin secreted by pancreas breaks down the glucose, makes it enter body cells and release energy for day to day activities. Faulty metabolism occurs when glucose imbalance occurs in blood. The glucose imbalance occurs either when inadequate insulin is produced by pancreas, or when the body cells become inert or non-responsive to insulin. This causes glucose to build up in blood, leading to diabetes. Type 1 diabetes is caused due to inadequate insulin production, Type 2 diabetes is caused due to cell resistance to insulin. Type 2 is the most common form. Gestational diabetes attacks women during pregnancy.
Causes of Diabetes
1. Genetic factors
3. Stress and anxiety
4. Lack of physical activity
5. High intake of carbohydrates
6. Nutritional deficiencies
7. Any other disease affecting the pancreas
Symptoms of Diabetes
1. Increased hunger
2. Increased thirst
3. Frequent urination
4. Weight loss
6. Blurred vision
8. Light yellowish colored urine with a sweet, acidic odor
9. Intense itching around genitals
11. Poor healing of wounds
Ways to manage diabetes effectively
1. Exercising - Exercises help a lot in controlling blood sugar. Daily work outs for about 30 minutes prevent one from growing obese by burning down calories, improving the body tissue's response or sensitivity to insulin, accelerating metabolic rates, improving circulation in arms and legs, reducing cholesterol and thereby minimizing risk of strokes, reducing hypertension and relaxing one's mind. Jogging, walking, swimming, biking, cycling, skiing and light stretching exercises can be very helpful.
2. Proper diet plan - Proper diet helps to manage diabetes and its symptoms magically. A patient of diabetes is always liable to the risk of heart attacks. Therefore he or she must avoid consumption of cholesterol and saturated fat rich food items like meat and dairy products. Food cooked in vegetable oil or olive is beneficial for diabetes patients, for they are the rich source of mono unsaturated fat. High-fiber diet whole grain breads, peas, beans and cereals are recommended for diabetics. Such diet lowers the absorption of glucose by intestines. Also the diet of a diabetic should include cereal soups, vegetables like bitter gourd, cabbage, lettuce, spinach, cucumber, tomatoes capsicum. Lemon juice without straining, buttermilk added with a pinch of salt, tea without sugar may be taken by the diabetes patient. Citrus fruits, apples, pears should be taken in large quantities, for they reduce the body's insulin requirements.
People who have never smoked, but who live in areas with higher air pollution levels, are roughly 20 percent more…
US scientists on Wednesday reported a new advance in using gene therapy to restore eyesight in people with a rare,…
Even though smoking appears far less frequently in U.S. television shows than it used to, its portrayal may still be…
Even people who are older may see a longevity benefit from exercising: Older men who exercise 30 minutes a day tend to live…
Scientists have discovered proof that music is its own kind of medicine, at least when it comes to patients on a ventilator. In…
Older people who eat healthy, with more fruits and vegetables, nuts and fish in their diets, may be less likely to experience declines…
In people who become infected with the difficult-to-treat gut bacteria called C. diff, the infection often comes back after treatment. But a new…
Connecticut police say they are investigating a batch of tainted synthetic marijuana that has sent about a dozen people to the hospital.