Diabetes or diabetes mellitus is a disorder that is characterized by elevation of glucose levels in blood. The carbohydrates that we consume get converted in to glucose, and hormone insulin secreted by pancreas breaks down the glucose, makes it enter body cells and release energy for day to day activities. Faulty metabolism occurs when glucose imbalance occurs in blood. The glucose imbalance occurs either when inadequate insulin is produced by pancreas, or when the body cells become inert or non-responsive to insulin. This causes glucose to build up in blood, leading to diabetes. Type 1 diabetes is caused due to inadequate insulin production, Type 2 diabetes is caused due to cell resistance to insulin. Type 2 is the most common form. Gestational diabetes attacks women during pregnancy.
Causes of Diabetes
1. Genetic factors
3. Stress and anxiety
4. Lack of physical activity
5. High intake of carbohydrates
6. Nutritional deficiencies
7. Any other disease affecting the pancreas
Symptoms of Diabetes
1. Increased hunger
2. Increased thirst
3. Frequent urination
4. Weight loss
6. Blurred vision
8. Light yellowish colored urine with a sweet, acidic odor
9. Intense itching around genitals
11. Poor healing of wounds
Ways to manage diabetes effectively
1. Exercising - Exercises help a lot in controlling blood sugar. Daily work outs for about 30 minutes prevent one from growing obese by burning down calories, improving the body tissue's response or sensitivity to insulin, accelerating metabolic rates, improving circulation in arms and legs, reducing cholesterol and thereby minimizing risk of strokes, reducing hypertension and relaxing one's mind. Jogging, walking, swimming, biking, cycling, skiing and light stretching exercises can be very helpful.
2. Proper diet plan - Proper diet helps to manage diabetes and its symptoms magically. A patient of diabetes is always liable to the risk of heart attacks. Therefore he or she must avoid consumption of cholesterol and saturated fat rich food items like meat and dairy products. Food cooked in vegetable oil or olive is beneficial for diabetes patients, for they are the rich source of mono unsaturated fat. High-fiber diet whole grain breads, peas, beans and cereals are recommended for diabetics. Such diet lowers the absorption of glucose by intestines. Also the diet of a diabetic should include cereal soups, vegetables like bitter gourd, cabbage, lettuce, spinach, cucumber, tomatoes capsicum. Lemon juice without straining, buttermilk added with a pinch of salt, tea without sugar may be taken by the diabetes patient. Citrus fruits, apples, pears should be taken in large quantities, for they reduce the body's insulin requirements.
Red wine and chocolate make for a deadly combination to keep your mind sharp and alert, a study suggests.Polyphenols,…
A breast cancer wonder drug could be turned into a universal weapon against tumours.Newcastle University researchers said a family…
More than the apple, a strawberry a day could keep not just one doctor away, but an entire army of…
When you're trying to lose weight, cutting back on the amount you eat is a given—but feeling hungry all the…
It's been well documented how smoking wreaks havoc on your body, with tobacco use upping the risk for a variety of cancers—lung, bladder,…
It's a new parent's worst fear: Putting a healthy baby down to sleep, and coming back to find him not breathing.
Some people with joint and muscle pain say that changes in the weather trigger their symptoms, but a new study contradicts this belief,…
People trying to quit smoking may be more likely to succeed if they combine the patch with a pill, suggests a new study…
Superfoods are exactly what you expect them to be: Foods packed with nutrition that give you the most bang for your buck and…